Sadly, we had to say goodbye to our sidekick, shadow, buddy and world traveler on Christmas Eve, 2013. We’re missing Füssen at every turn but are so grateful for the time we had and the unconditional love and fun he so generously brought to our lives.
You may be considering letting us bring our 17-year-old cat, Fussen, to stay with us at your property.
His reputation is impeccable — from 5-star hotels and houses we’ve rented, to home exchanges we’ve done — and from 1 night to 5 months.
We are responsible pet owners and are committed to ensuring that travel with him works for him, us and you.
Please feel free to ask if you have other questions.
What about Fleas? Never once has he had a flea, even when we rescued him from the pound. We live on the 32nd floor so he lives indoors. I can assure you that we’d be on it in a nanosecond if we ever spotted a flea or indications of one.
What about Scratching? He hasn’t scratched in 4 years — we suppose a result of his age. Prior to that we had him trained to scratch a carpet and we traveled with it (still do, but he uses it as a sleeping mat now).
What about Shedding? Almost nothing — a result of diabetes and age. He used to shed great gobs and it made us crazy. But no more.
What about him being cooped up in the hotel room or rental home? It’s his norm: he’s always lived 100% indoors in our high-rise apartment. He’ll sleep. If there’s a patio/yard, we’ll sometimes put on his harness and let him wander it briefly, but only if we’re with him.
How do you pronounce his name? FOO-sin.
Why do we travel with him?
- Now, mainly because he has diabetes which requires insulin injections 2x/day. It’s (understandably!) hard to find people to stay with him and do that.
- When traveling he’s relaxed and curious the whole time.
- If we leave him in kennels or with others (some family members excluded), we often return to health issues that the vets attribute to stress.
- Because travel is really important to us, and it works for all 3 of us!
Where’s he been?
- A 5-month, 5-state road trip: Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona and Nevada. If we call it home, he’s happy just to be with us.
- MGM Grand Hotel Residences, Las Vegas (10 days) — one of our 25 home exchanges
- Marriott Hotel, La Jolla, California
- Victoria, BC (many times) — including the ferry trips!
- Rental House, Palm Desert, California (5 months)
- Palm Springs, California (2 weeks) — a home exchange
- Palm Desert, California (1 week) — an airbnb.com rental
- La Quinta Inn, Auburn Washington
- Aava Hotel, Whistler, BC
- Even to one of Paul’s bike races in Washington State
Fussen’s Other Talent
Until he was 14 and came to struggle with jumping and balance, he was trained to use the toilet.
It was fabulous to only have to flush, both at home and on the road!
But we can’t begrudge his age and still get to claim that he really is exceptional.
If you have any questions, we’re happy to answer them.
Warm regards to you!
Nola, Paul and Fussen